It's A Soup And Not Just Broccoli!
Carnival Cruise Line's dinner menu describes this dish as "Sharp Cheddar, Parmesan, and Gruyere". This description alone is not very descriptive. On my Carnival Breeze 2021 cruise I ordered the dish expecting to receive stalks of broccoli with melted cheese. When the dish came I was surprised that it was a soup. Maybe I am the only one that thinks this based on the menu description, but I wanted to bring this to your attention before you order!
Why I Liked The Roasted Broccoli and Three Cheese Appetizer:
During my trip on the Carnival Breeze in 2021 I enjoyed the Roasted Broccoli and Three Cheese Appetizer despite thinking the dish was actual broccoli. This soup was delicious and here are some reasons why I thought it was good:
- Temperature: In my experience, the soup was served warm. My waitstaff brought the soup from the galley with a cover to preserve the warmth and to protect the dish in transit. I do not know if this was a Covid-19 procedure because in the pre-Covid days I would sometimes see the waitstaff bring an empty bowl and pour the soup themselves from a common vat located in a side area of the dining room.
- Very Cheesy - I like cheese and the soup had a very cheesy taste. I personally was unable to taste the broccoli component of this soup, but the cheese taste was good. The taste reminded me of broccoli cheese soup.
- Portion Size - The portion size of the soup was generous. I was already starting to feel full after eating the roasted broccoli and cheese soup. The soup was rich and thick which probably made the portion size feel larger.
- Is this served on all cruises? - I have seen this dish on almost all Carnival Cruise dinner menus for cruises 4+ nights in length. This does not mean that it is not served on 3 night cruises, but I cannot say with certainty because I have not seen recent 3 night cruise menus. It may not be available on all cruises, especially if the onboard Food & Beverage Team has decided to prepare something different based on ingredient availability. If you are interested in trying this dish, read through all of the appetizers each night to see if this dish is being offered.
- Can you order more than 1 appetizer? - Yes, you can order more than one appetizer in the main dining room at dinner. I typically order a Caesar Salad appetizer and at least one other appetizer each night of the cruise.
- Can I request a smaller portion? Carnival's onboard TV Good To Know channel advertises you can request half portions in the main dining room. Although I have personally not tried to get a smaller portion, you should be able to request a half portion of the soup. I recommend asking your waitstaff when you are ordering. If you do try to get a half portion, please let me know after your cruise if your request was honored!
Food items, menus, and the way a dish is prepared can vary greatly depending on the particular cruise, chef, and other factors.