Carnival's dessert menus usually do not have a detailed description with the Chocolate Melting Cake. The dessert consists of a layer of chocolate cake on top and runny warm chocolate under the top layer of cake. Ice cream is available on request, but most waitstaff will automatically bring a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you want more ice cream or want to be sure that ice cream is brought, I recommend asking your waitstaff when ordering dessert.
On a scale of 5 stars (5 = highest rating and 1 = lowest rating) I would give this dessert 5 stars. Here are my reasons for giving this dessert the highest possible rating:
- Good Combination Of Cake & Melted Chocolate - If the dessert is properly prepared you should get a good mix of chocolate cake and runny melted chocolate underneath. Almost every time I eat this dessert the top layer of chocolate cake is between 1/4 to 1/2 of the bowl and the rest of the bowl is filled with melted chocolate.
- Portion Size - Carnival serves the Chocolate Melting Cake in a generous portion. Due to dessert being at the end of the meal and already being full, by the time I have the Chocolate Melting Cake I barely able to eat the whole thing (or not able to finish). Carnival serves a good portion, but if you decide you want even more you can ask your waitstaff for another Chocolate Melting Cake.
- For me, the main reason why I like this dessert is the taste of the chocolate cake and melted chocolate. The vanilla ice cream is a great side that can be poured into the cake or eaten separately. Despite this being a popular dish, some cruisers do not like it for various reasons.
- Is this served on all cruises? - Yes, this dessert is one of Carnival's most popular dessert menu items and has been around for a long time. I think it is fair to call this dessert a classic Carnival menu item!
- Does Carnival serve this dish on the buffet? - I have only seen this dessert served one time on Carnival's Lido buffet. It is not typically served and probably will not be on your cruise. If you really want to try this dessert, make sure you order it in the main dining room.
- Can this dessert be ordered through room service? - This dessert is not on the current room service menus.
Also, food items and menus served vary by cruise and the length of the cruise.