One of the new sandwich options available from Carnival's deli is the Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich. The menu that is posted at the ship's deli says this sandwich comes with "rustic panini, cheddar, and mustard mayo". One ingredient not specifically mentioned in Carnival's menu description was some sort of butter looking spread that was applied to the bread prior to the cheese being put on the sandwich.
On a scale of 5 stars (5 = highest rating and 1 = lowest rating) I would give this sandwich 4.5 stars. My reasons for giving this sandwich a high rating are as follows:
- The Cheese: Prior to toasting the sandwich, the deli chef put cheese into the sandwich. At first I thought the amount of cheese looked small, but the cheese melted in the toaster and filled the entire piece of bread. I estimate the height of the cheese (after melting in the sandwich toaster) was about 1/4 of an inch. There was plenty of cheese on this sandwich and each bite of the sandwich had a cheesy taste.
- Mix of Bread & Cheese Per Bite: The proportion of bread and cheese allowed for a blended flavor. The slices of bread on the top and bottom of the sandwich were a little thin, but this did not bother me because I got this sandwich mainly because I wanted the cheese. Both the bread and cheese tasted good!
- A Little Hard To Eat: I ended up eating this sandwich with a fork and knife because with each bite the cheese wanted to stay attached to the other part of the sandwich.
- Customization Is An Option: Carnival's deli menu is very standardized, but most crew members are willing to make small customization to sandwiches.
- You Can Get Sides From The Deli To Go With This: The new style deli menu includes the option to get a side of french fries, potato and egg salad, as well as a salted chocolate chip cookie with each sandwich. The fries can be regular french fries or truffle fries. I tried the french fries and salted chocolate chip cookie with a different sandwich. The fries were really good and the chocolate chip cookie was good as well.
- Is this menu item free? Yes, the Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich is available from the Carnival Deli on ships that have the new deli menu. When ordered from the deli, this sandwich is free.
Also, food items and menus served can vary by cruise.